Welcome to China Business Cast episode 24! Today’s show we have Anthony Johnson, a British entrepreneur who has had a few ventures in China and a lot of experience hiring and managing staff.
But before we start, let’s do a 3 second moment of silence for those in Tianjin who went through that horrible explosion disaster. The person who connected me and Anthony, Russell Smith, was just a building complex away from the explosions, he is ok, but is being evacuated like the other local residents.
...3 second pause...
Ok, thanks everyone for your respect, we talk about China, and USA, and international business- but we are all humans on the same planet, let’s love and respect one another - now onto the interview!
- Tips for assembling / managing the team, keeping them happy at work, or how to train Chinese staff...
- Setting up an office / putting together a team on the ground in China.
- Russell introduced us, thanks Russ!
- Spent some time in Fujian province where he put together an office of staff to build a teacher placement agency. He handled the recruitment, the branding and the training etc. The office is still up and running and profitable: TEFL Panda
- Set up a Shaolin Kung Fu School in Guilin
- Tons of things we can chat about - but today we’re focusing on assembling and managing a team on the ground in China, and thanks for sharing! Before we get started - Can you give us a bit of a background on how you first came to China?
- So the first business you did was the teacher placement agency, how did that get started?
- Assembling the Chinese team - how did you manage that?
- Finding and hiring is one thing, which is a challenge in itself, but I think the real challenge is maintaining the team and managing the staff, care to give us some tips on how the first few months went once you had the Chinese team in place
- How do you keep them happy and motivated?
- Any issues that came up with HR or staff?
- you speak Chinese pretty well, was that a factor in managing the team, did you operate mostly in Chinese?
- What tips can you give listeners who are at the beginning stages of opening an office in China and hiring Chinese employees?
- So you appeared on a Chinese Dating TV Show, Fei Cheng Wu Rao - care to give us some ideas how you got on and how it went, behind the scenes action? :)
- What is your current venture, care to share
- Thanks for sharing Anthony! How can people reach out to you and your business?
- One of Anthony's prior Businesses - http://teflpanda.com/
- Anthony on a Chinese dating show
- Mike's service China Business Assistant
Thanks Anthony for coming on! Please reach out to him and give him a thanks if you enjoyed this show.
Also - I know these shows don’t come out too often, trying to make a plan for the show - talking to some potential co-hosts or guest hosts. If you have ideas, I am open minded!
Also if you are looking to hire a Chinese assistant, and need a hand, check out my service China Business Assistant .com - I have a package where I can give you some online training and qualified candidates to take your business in China to the next level, check it out at China Business Assistant .com - thanks!
Til next time everyone , take care